Monday, November 5, 2007

A Fanatic In The Making


To say I love BYU football is an understatement! To some it might be considered an unhealthy addiction, but what can I say? I love it! BYU football is a spiritual experience for me. I will have reached the pinnacle of my life when I am able to fly around the country every week for each BYU game. This obsession started when I was just a small child. I still have a scrapbook that I made when I was seven, filled with newspaper clippings of Robbie Bosco, Glenn Kozlowski, Jason Buck and Vai Sikahema. Like the gospel, BYU football is in "every fiber of my being". Is it any wonder that my children would follow suit? The first song they ever learn from the Primary Songbook is the Cougar Fight Song. Okay, so it's not actually a Primary song, but it should be!

As a testament that children learn from their parent’s examples, Tyler now bleeds blue. Over the past couple of months Ty has raised the bar on his fanaticism and moved into the “Fully Invested” stage. Nearly every minute he can spare he’s running around the house with his BYU football, watching games on TV, or drawing pictures of his favorite players (John Beck, Ty Detmer and Austin Collie). Every morning is a battle to get him to wear anything other than a BYU shirt to school. His teacher must think he doesn’t own anything else. He recently wrote a letter to John Beck, and is anxiously awaiting the chance to see him play with the Dolphins. Just yesterday, our friend Brandon Hardy gave Tyler autographed pictures from Austin and Zach Collie. Tyler was thrilled!

One of my favorite recent memories was taking Tyler to the UNLV game in Las Vegas. Being there with him was pure joy! He was so involved in everything that was happening, asking questions about every play and player. It's so much fun now that he actually understands the game.

Over the years, Kate has learned to live with a fanatical husband. Now she is learning to deal with two fanatics in the house. She's probably so thankful that Aubrey still prefers to dance and wear dresses as opposed to a football helmet. Although, she is getting quite good at tackling Ty.

5 comments:

Hillybug said...

I am so glad that we made Tyler happy. Brandon is so ready for Eli to be in that stage of life!Maybe the next time Austin comes over we could surprise Tyler!

Mel said...

My husband is a close second to Jeff. He is almost as obsessed. Gotta love BYU. It's fun to have season tickets and be close to BYU stadium. Jeff I still love your confetti!!

Anne said...

Jeff,
You are infected with the same bug as Dan. I loved your post. But spiritual experience...? Come on... more like addiction! ;) I think we need to find a 12 step program for you guys. I'll think about it during my girls trip (post-season therapy) in February.

jlohran said...

Jeff-- I taught Harvey Unga and am friends-- next time your in town-- with Ty-- I will try to get you together if you want! He is a really good kid. Jami

threegirlmom said...

It was so fun to see you and Tyler at the game. We are still jealous of the seets you guys had!!
Kacee